3D Printing – Borderlands Sniper Rifle – Part 2

When last we met, I’d just started printing a test print of the rifle handle to see whether it was the right size for my hand.  As the rest of the rifle can be scaled universally, getting this piece the right size would impact the size of the rest of the model.  Below are the results of that test print:

Even though the handle was pretty close, I feel it could be a tiny bit larger, so I’ve increased the size of the model by 3%.  Doing a little measuring within Fusion 360, it turns out that when this entire thing is built it will be over 1.5 metres long!  One thing I was impressed by was how smoothly the model printed – this was my first time using the Simplify3D slicer and it is very good indeed.  I’ve also decided to print the trigger as a separate part for a few different reasons, the main one being that I want to be able to move it, and a secondary one being that the support tower wobbled while it was printing which led to a wobbly print.

After a couple of other tweaks to the model, I decided to start cutting things apart ready for printing.  When something is 3D printed, the software adds support structures so the hot end doesn’t have to end up printing in thin air.  While these supports are generally very good, they can leave little blips or marks on the model where they attach.  With that in mind, I wanted to ensure that I could print as much of the rifle as possible without having to rely on supports.   The part I started with was the calibration dials on the scope – this was a relatively straightforward object, but due to the orientation of some parts of it, I needed to break it apart to print it in a total of 8 separate pieces.

My aim was to have the dial parts the caps slide over the rod I’d added to their bases.  The main body was split in two as it would have to encompass the body of the scope, which would be printed separately.  Technically this worked, although I didn’t allow enough clearance around the rod on the side dial, so I had to snap that off to get the parts to fit.  I didn’t bother to sand or finish this part as I was just testing whether I could get it to fit together properly.  Here’s a couple of pictures of it all stuck together:

I’m going to adjust the model slightly to allow for more clearance on the side parts, as I’d like to be able to have the dials be able to be rotated if possible.  I’ll also do all the sanding, filling and other finishing before I glued it together!

The next part I have printed is the sight.  I wanted to be able to add a piece of clear acrylic with a design printed on it to the middle of the sight, so I had to cut the model up accordingly.  Below are the final parts, which have been filled, sanded and filler primer-ed.  They need to be sanded again and I may have to add some more filler in certain areas too.  I cut the piece of acrylic from a small 3mm sheet that I picked up from Hobbycraft.  The arrow indicates the top as it’s not quite square.  I’ve press-fitted it together in these photos as I’ve still got quite a lot of finishing to do…

More soon!

Part 1 – Part 3